Friday, October 25, 2013

Negative Income

As a stay-at-home-mom, I have the best job in the world. I mean, really, how can you not love this face???
I get to spend all day, every day, with this little bundle of joy.


However, no one pays me to do this job so I have to pay myself. With what money, you ask...my own money. How can you pay yourself with your own money, you say? I’m glad you asked!


See, I spend my time making what I call 'negative income.' This is money not spent because I spent the time to keep it in my pocketses. Hence, because I'm intentionally saving money, I essentially make an hourly wage. Sometimes it's $0.50/hour; sometimes it's $10/hour. Recently, I spent an hour to plan out my trip which allowed me to save over 50% off my purchase at CVS, about $60. That's $60 for one hour of work! That's also $60 I would have spent if I just walked in the doors and bought what I needed.


What’s the secret? (You’re so inquisitive! I like that…)


I generate this ‘negative income’ by spending time clipping coupons, using apps and visiting websites to get free or discounted stuff. (Get a few ideas here.)


I spend time making homemade alternatives so I'm not spending exorbitant prices on fancy smelly products to keep my house, clothes and self clean. (Check out my obsession here.)


I changed my habits so I’m using less electricity in my daily life and less products as I do chores, etc. You would be amazed how little dish soap it takes to wash a whole sink full of dishes.


I go all nerd-tastic on CVS's Extra Bucks program and get tons of stuff at extreme discounts.


I seek out people who want to trade for things.


I go to clothing swaps. Reduce, reuse, recycle!


I sell stuff on eBay, craigslist and Facebook.


I find creative ways to feed my family and I don’t buy convenience foods.


I do all this to keep money in the bank, making 'negative income'. Is the hourly rate worth it? Well, not always. But considering the benefits and flexibility of my job, I'm ok with making $0.50/hour sometimes.


I know you're dying to know the ins and outs of all those things I mentioned. Don't worry, I'll tell you all my secrets and how I do everything in detail. But not today. That would be a reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaallllllllly long post, and I wouldn't want to bore you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment